Sunday, November 23, 2008

Inauspicous start

We left in a bit of a hurry, fastening the dinghy on deck only an lhour
before departure. Not unlike our departure from Padanaram, really, but a
little more self assured.

We had a bit of a scare in customs. It seems that Bruce, Paul and Alan had
to check out of customs at Ordinance Island in addition to the checkout at
the airport. All I had to provide was their flight information and we were
free to go. A few phone calls and we were on our way.

By the time we were clear of government cut, I looked over at Martin, and
understood for the first time why people talk about getting green. I have
never seen that particular swhade of Ghastly pale green before (unless it
was possibly the same shade that was ubiquitous in Catholic grade schools in
the 60s). Martin had taken on a couple of assignments below decks as we
cleared the cut, and by the time we were 500 yards out, it was too late for
him. The sea was pretty rolly, and confused with a swell coming in from the
south from the prior days near-gale, and also from the NE, from today's
wind. One down.

We made pretty good time getting south. As you will recall, we were quite
motivated. A storm system would rake the area in two days, and we need to be
south of 28N by Weds in order to be safe.

I got schooled today by Herb. He did not hear me check in, and when he did
not mention me at roll call, I piped up to tell him that we were in transit.
He scolded me for not checking in. this public SSB transmission business is
a little intimidating, as they have their own lingo and ways. I will try to
do better tomorrow.