Sunday, January 27, 2008

1st invitation (Sent Jan 1 2008)

Madness is going south!

I have decided to take some time off from work and sail Madness to the Caribbean, and you are invited.

The trip will be a sailing and kiteboarding adventure, inspired in part by the Best Kiteboarding Odyssey ( http://www.offshoreodysseys.com/ ), but there will be lots relaxed sailing, exploring and relaxing for non-sailor/kiteboarders. Our trip will be a bit more rugged; While I expect to have refrigeration, good hot food, and hot fresh-water showers, we will not have air conditioning, dishwasher, onboard laundry, coil-spring mattresses, or other such comforts.

As currently envisioned, the trip would be a 5-6 month trip to the Caribbean and back. The Madness would start in Nantucket in September, moving to the outer banks of North Carolina by October, Sail to Tortola, British Virgin Islands in November. From there we explore the islands for a while, until it is time to start heading back. The return trip would be via the Leeward islands (including Cabarete), up through the Bahamas, and back up along the east coast. Dana is going to skip the passages, but fly in for the destinations.

I am not looking for any level of commitment at this point, but to help me gauge the level of interest and start getting relevant information to those interested - please reply to this message indicating your interest in as many of the following as you wish:

1) I want to go for the whole trip! (I would love to have crew for the duration)
2) I am interested in an extended term as crew, less than 6 months, and greater than 1 month
3) I want to sail offshore from North Carolina to the islands (this is not for the faint of heart or the inflexible – I will take 9 – 12 days at sea if everything goes well, and will likely include squalls or worse)
4) I want to be delivery crew on the return trip up the east coast and the Intracoastal Waterway, and can provide my own shore-side transportation.
5) I would like to visit the boat for a week or more when in ___________ (Nantucket, North Carolina, Windward Islands, Leeward Islands, Bahamas, Return trip on ICW)
6) I am not really a boat person, but please come visit me at my luxury hotel/home/vacation home when you pass by ______________

Also, please let me know if you are interested in helping with any of the following preparation and support activities:
a) Trip planning – places to visit, places to kite, maintaining the calendar, etc.
b) Provisioning and menu – researching what to bring and what to buy
c) Onboard and Onshore Entertainment – Movies, music, games – Reggae bands to see, etc.
d) Boat Systems – Procedures, refrigeration, radio, satellite comms, wifi antennas, safety, etc.
e) Web Site photography, videography, design, hosting, updating, paid advertising
f) Arranging sponsorships (Second Best Odyssey? Old Guys Rule? Marine suppliers?
Smuggling, Piracy and looting
g) Cultural Interaction and Humanitarian efforts – should we be bringing gifts of vitamins, supplies, or volunteering while we are down there? – How do we leave the cleanest wake?
Other________________________

ttyl

No comments: